Trump Goes on Meet the Press
Chuck Todd retired from Meet the Press last week. Yesterday his replacement, Kristen Welker, made her debut
and it was a dilly. She interviewed Donald Trump for an hour last Thursday and it was aired yesterday. Here are brief
of some of the things he said:
- Hey, Republicans, stop pushing abortion bans with no exceptions.
- I am not worried about going to prison because I am going to win.
- I like democracy, just not the way it works in the U.S.
- I might pardon myself but it is unlikely.
- I ignored legal advice from lawyers who said the election wasn't stolen.
- If elected, I will seek retribution.
- I am not involved the effort to impeach Joe Biden.
- I like what Vladimir Putin said about me recently.
- I won't seek a third term if I win in 2024.
- House members should shut down the government if they can't get a good deal.
- I won't say if I will commit U.S. forces to protect Taiwan. Only a stupid person would specify what they will do.
The page linked to above has multiple video clips of interview fragments on it.
During the interview, Trump frequently lied or made misleading claims. Here are some of the
- The 2020 election was rigged.
- Fifteen million illegal immigrants will enter the U.S. this year.
- Bacon is now five times more expensive than it used to be.
- When I lowered taxes in 2017, we increased net revenue.
- I was going to reduce the deficit, but then COVID hit.
- Democrats support killing babies.
- I built 500 miles of border wall.
- The media is no longer reporting the war in Ukraine.
None of these are even close to the truth. But in Trumpworld, truth is irrelevant. What matters is what Trump says.
One thing he said that may or may not be true is that Melania will soon be back on the campaign trail with him. So far
this year, she hasn't appeared with him a single time. We can only speculate about what he is going to have to offer her
to get her to show up with him. Maybe a shiny new pre-nup in case she decides to divorce him after Barron has graduated
from college, has a job, and no longer needs Trump's funding? She kind of has him over a barrel on this. (V)
This item appeared on www.electoral-vote.com. Read it Monday through Friday for political and election news,
Saturday for answers to reader's questions, and Sunday for letters from readers.
All Senate candidates